Friday, June 1, 2012

Pressed into a Mold

One of the bloggers I follow asked what was on our hearts today? Let me tell you...
Yesterday, after doing a linkup, I checked out the link before me. This woman shared her heart. What she is giving up is her blogging. Why? She is spending too much time blogging, and then reading other's blogs. But, if that isn't enough, she was feeling rather inadequate as she read other's blogs. Like she didn't measure up. My heart went out to her.
Aren't we all in the same boat to some extent? I blogged about this keeping up with the Jones' mentality
here only 2 weeks ago. It is such a trap. Such bondage. Instead of being encouraged and inspired, we end up frustrated and discouraged. We aren't doing everything the other bloggers are, we have different personalities, different gifts, and even different life philosophies. I think that is the beauty of each blog. We get to see each unique blogger's unique perspective and personality shine through their writings.
I am following over a dozen blogs right now. Does my blog look exactly like any one of theirs? Do I agree with all that any one of them say?
No. Why? Because I am the Barefoot Hippie Girl. I am me. I have my own likes, desires, gifts, interests, personality, life philosophies, and core beliefs.
And you are you. And just because you follow someone's blog, doesn't mean you have to agree 100% with them, or be just like them. You don't have to do every idea they present. You don't.
Isn't interesting that in "real" life we try to weed through advice and boundaries, and we make choices on what we can or can't do. What we want or don't want to do.
Yet in this virtual world of Pinterest, Face Book, Twitter and Blogging, we have a hard time stepping back from the comparing.
On the profiles of several of the blogs I follow, they have some descriptions that just aren't me. Like not letting their babies cry it out, or nursing older children, or baby wearing, or co-sleeping. (mind you, I am not saying that I am for or against any of these things, I am just saying they aren't how I operate) Many of the bloggers have pictures of themselves with Hippie looking headbands. They look way more hippie-ish than I do. As a matter of fact, the way I am most hippie-ish is my bare feet and my unconventional-ness. I am a rather conservative, classics kind of gal.
So what should I do? Should I do the hippie headband pic? Should I switch my child rearing philosophies? Should I strive to emulate each one of the bloggers I follow?
I don't think so. Imagine how crazy that would get! Not even all of these bloggers have the same philosophies. I would be running around going absolutely crazy. Because these are them. This is me.
What should be our attitude as we read these blogs?
-Always have a teachable spirit. Always. There is something you can learn from everyone. Someone may have a new idea that fits what you are experiencing perfectly. This can be such a blessing.
-Sift. Just because something works for one person, doesn't mean it will work for you. Consider personalities, core beliefs and talents. If they are coming from a similar spot, maybe it can work for you too. But, also just because someone blogged about it doesn't mean you should change your whole lifestyle to do it. Maybe you need to just say that is great for them, encourage them, and let it go.
-Give yourself the freedom to be a free thinker. Okay, this is one way I truly am a hippie. I will not do something just because everyone else is. I am not a band wagon jumper. I never have been.
-Hold your own philosophies, beliefs, talents, and strengths in humility and grace. Don't think you are better or worse than someone else because you do things differently. And don't think others are better or worse because of what they do, or blog about either. Extend grace-to yourself and others.
We each have our niche. We each are unique. We each are imperfect human beings seeking to serve and glorify our Creator with the things we write and the opportunities and ministries He has put before us.
There is never peace, joy or fulfillment in trying to be someone else. God created you to be you, and to live out uniquely His purpose for you.
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world (be pressed into it's mold) but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-His good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2)
That's what's on my heart.
Thanks for asking.=)